Low pressure headache and caffeine...

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Low pressure headache and caffeine...

Postby emmacos » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi All,

My daugher Helen is currently in hospital with horrible constant headaches, and her neurologist, who initially was saying they are tension headaches (they're not!!!) is now saying they may be low pressure headaches. Probably more likely I would think! And she has had them before, particularly following her decompression surgery. The doctor said that caffeine can be helpful in reducing these headaches, and I have been reading quite a bit on the internet about this.

I just wondered if anyone on here had any experience of this, and whether caffeine has helped.

I have also read that 'analgesics are usually not effective in treating low pressure headaches'.... and no pain meds are helping Helen's headaches at the moment that's for sure!

Emma.x
emmacos

Re: Low pressure headache and caffeine...

Postby razzle » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm

caffine can be good and bad

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders ... dache.aspx

what kind of low pressure headache is he talking about CSF or Barometic ..
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby emmacos » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 pm

CSF I would say!

Apparently it can help in csf production.
emmacos

Postby zenkeeper » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Any idea what is causing the low pressure headache? Does she have leak? Did they check her opening pressure?

I have had numeous low pressure headaches following my surgery and yes, caffeine helped, sodium/electrolytes, and the almighty blood patch (but I had a suspected leak). Meds did not do much at all.

Those headaches are just the worst....Best wishes..ZK
zenkeeper

Postby emmacos » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:28 pm

I suspect it may be a leak, though they're not saying that. Helen developed a pseudomeningocele following her surgery in 2004 which she still has, and I think it could be something to do with that. They don't know what is causing it I don't think, but she is having an mri scan hopefully this week. The headaches are continuous at the moment, and no pain meds are helping!

I'm arranging to take her for a second opinion, as her neuro surgeon says everything is fine, and her mri looks good!!

The neurologist at the hospital mentioned that caffeine might help, and I've been reading up on it. Just trying to find ways to get rid of these awful constant headaches.

Emma.
emmacos

Postby reedy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Yep, coffee can sometimes do good for CSF problems. I posted on this maybe a year ago - do a search on 'coffee' in this site and maybe you will find some discussion (though there wasn't much reply).
reedy

Postby karenb » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi again, Emma,

I've read a lot on this site regarding caffeine & headaches, but don't remember diddly about it.

I'd suggest searching the message board for more info (use the "Search" box in the upper right-hand corner of the screen when you're logged into the message board). Of course, that's in addition to the links you've been given by others in this thread...

God's blessings to you and yours,

Karen
karenb

Postby razzle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 am

i Know what yall are saying about coffee helping but why mask the problem find out what the problem is ... Poor Helen has been thru so much . Prayers sent her way .. R

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby reedy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 am

razzle, I don't think anyone is suggesting coffee instead of serious medical treatment! Coffee is good, but not THAT good!

(BTW I'm enjoying a very strong cup right now and loving it. Am feeling much better than before the caffeine kicked in. But I'm still going through with a gnarly duroplasty in 10 days or so!)
reedy

Postby emmacos » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 am

Hi All,

Well, we're not much further on Im afraid! Helen had an mri scan this morning and they cant see an changes, no leaks, no low pressure... so they're just basically saying that with this sort of underlying medical condition these bad headaches can just occur... and they're difficult to treat as there are no obvious reasons for them, only a predisposition for them!

She's still in hosp and lying down is still helping the head pain - which made me think they were prob low pressure headaches! If nothing shows from the dye they put in when she had the mri this morning, which would show if there was low pressure, they I think they are just going to try and manage them, as in pain relief...... but that hasn't been helping much up to now!

Maybe there is a predisposition to headaches with cm/sm - Im sure there probably is, and if there is no obvious reason showing on the scans, I don't suppose much can be done to rectify the problem.....

I'm still gonna get Helen a second opinion if they come up with nothing here. I still wonder about low pressure and the pseudomeningocele, which she still has.

Roz - How is Kara going on these days, do you ever hear about her? She suffered with terrible headaches daily didn't she, and went through numerous surgeries, which didn't seem to help.

Emma.x
emmacos

Postby razzle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Dont know anything about KARA . she hasnt written on her blog in months ...she had Leaks I do know and had a shunt put in....

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby razzle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:57 pm

emma have they checked to see if Helen has a syrinx ... I know they have done alot of xrays , just thought I would ask .. Roz

read this it might help

http://zipperheadsuk.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ocele.html

since he has a pseudomeningocele

read this too
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Mal ... ow/1655026

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby emmacos » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:19 am

Hi Roz, Yes Helen has got a syrinx. They've done a full head and spine mri this time, so don't know if it's worsened at all. Will see doctors later, but yesterday they didn't seem concerned that anything had changed!

Emma.x
emmacos

Postby reedy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:50 am

Laura (LFRM) recently posted in another thread that she finds her condition improved by coffee. I thought I would bump up this thread, since coffee is one of the highlights of my day these days. I like it as strong as possible. Unfortunately I can only drink it in the morning, as later it keeps me awake (having plenty to worry about anyway). But boy-o-boy do I like my morning (two) cup(s) of strong coffee!

I found papers on the topic and posted extensively about it a while ago, but can't seem to find the links. In a nutshell, caffeine and/or coffee is NOT necessarily bad for you if you have CSF problems, which we all do. (If you also have heart problems, etc., then of course the net benefit might not be worth it - too much caffiene can make your ticker go boom!)

LFRM wrote:...
I have all of the [symptoms], but I have discovered they are related to dehydration, the more dehydrated I am the worst all these are, but drinking water does not have the same effect as drinking coffee, all these symptoms improve, in my case with coffee!!
My sons and husbands are my interpreters, particularly the youngest one as he is almost a professional in doing this.
Laura
Mexico
reedy

Postby reedy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 am

Here is my old post from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13843&p=93504&hilit=coffee#p93504

Postby reedy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:04 pm
Have you tried keeping your coffee consumption high? It can interfere with sleep, but it does seem to do good things for CSF. I decided to Google this to check up on what Dr Heiss told me and it looks like there is benefit to caffiene if you've got brain trauma:
http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/v28 ... 0539a.html

or this http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/91/5/718.long , which says:
Caffeine
Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant that amongst other properties produces cerebral vasoconstriction. I.V. caffeine 0.5 g was recommended as a treatment of post‐dural puncture headache in 1944.62 It is available in an oral and i.v. form. The oral form is well absorbed with peak levels reached in 30 min. Caffeine crosses the blood–brain barrier and the long half‐life of 3–7.5 h allows for infrequent dosing schedules.

The most frequently quoted work on the treatment of post‐dural puncture headache with caffeine is that of Sechzer.113 114 He evaluated the effects of one or two 0.5 g doses of i.v. caffeine on subjects with established post‐dural puncture headache. There are some statistical and methodological flaws in this study, but it was concluded that i.v. caffeine is an effective therapy for post‐dural puncture headache.
reedy

Next

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders