tolerating the heat

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

tolerating the heat

Postby kiminfla » Mon May 21, 2007 6:23 pm

Anyone else who has difficulty/increase in symptoms in the heat/humidity have any suggestions on how to better tolerate the heat? As you know, I'm in Florida. Last week we took our autistic students and another class to the beach for our Community Based Instruction outing (go on one every other week and it's quite enjoyable).

However, this last one was only "enjoyable" for me for about an hour. I notice my symptoms really flare up in the heat and humidity. Just wondering if anyone else deals with this and any advice? Other than the obvious -- just stay in the A/C with an ice pack on the back of my neck! :) , as unfortunately, that's not always possible.

I pray this finds you all well. Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby mac » Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi, Kim :lol:

I have this same exact problem. Heat really does a total number on me. I can take up for 4 cold showers a day in order to bring my core temp down. Sounds like that's not an option for you.

There are those things you can freeze and wear on your neck that might help in a situation like your last outing. You could keep them frozen at the school and then take out...and use. Also there are some things with beans or rice in them or something that you wet and they immediately get cold, you tie it around your neck. I think I have one I've never used and if I can find it, I'll send it to you muy pronto!

Stay in the shade for sure! Wear sun hats to keep sun off your head. What about one of those ball caps with the mister and fan on the bill? You'd be a big hit with the kids!!! No, I'm serious!!

lv
mac
mac

Postby kiminfla » Mon May 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Mac, I actually brought one of those fan squirt bottles with me that spray a mist wherever you point it -- needless to say, yes the kids enjoyed that! I think the outings are so important -- for some of our students it's a rare opportunity to be out and about in the community, ordering their own lunch, paying for it themselves, interacting with people, etc.

Not that I blame the parents -- I'm positive it's a lot of work for them -- but the parents will often order the child's lunch, etc. just because it's easier/faster/more convenient. We're trying to teach some skills of daily living, social interaction, etc. so I'm not complaining about the trips at all -- just want to find a way to get through them a bit more comfortably!! This week we're going to a community pool. I'll try bringing something to wrap on my neck -- great idea -- Thanks!

I've really grown to care alot about the students and I'll certainly miss them when the school year ends. They've been a blessing in my life.

Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby drummergrl » Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Count me in on this one. Heat makes me feel horrrrrible. Part of my symptom is that 1/2 of my face has apparantly sustained some nerve damage so my right side doesn't sweat or deal with the heat at all. It gets really pasty and clammy. So I basically end up feeling like I'm going to faint because 1/2 of my face/neck isn't sweating when it needs to. It's wierd lol. Really extreme heat (like band camp in August) makes me really tense, so my neck gets sore, but I try to just relax my shoulders. When it gets really bad I put an ice cold washcloth on my face and neck, and it helps sooo much. Obviously, though, I can't bring that on the marching field! Oh well lol. I hope you get some relief this summer!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Heat

Postby razzle51 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:12 am

And I am just the oppsite , the hotter the better. I love hot weather . And I feel 100 times better .

I know Jerry I am misplaced :D
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby kalb15 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:49 pm

I have a horrible time with the heat as well. I sweat very easily and just get a bad feeling as though my body does not tolerate the heat very well. I also have had a strange symptom since my MVA, the probable cause of my syrinx, that has never been explained to me. Many times when I get really hot I will get itchy almost like pins and needles sticking me from about the chest area up. Cooling down seems to help it go away. I have noticed this when straining as well but it is usually when it is hot.
kalb15

Postby drummergrl » Tue May 22, 2007 8:59 pm

OOOhhhhh kalb15!!! I used to get that horrible itchiness on my torso too! My dr. prescribed Zyrtec, and I haven't had it since! I've been on it for years... it's amazing!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby keggler » Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 am

I'am kinda like Roz on this one---I feel better in the heat than the cold.I guess like anybody too much of any thing isn't good,but the cold makes my muscles tighten and pull at the joints where as in the heat I've noticed the constructions have but almost gone. So I'am a fan of warmer weather and of corse the beach, I live about 2 hours away.

My headaches seem to not be as bad in the summer months, altho the pollen is up, in general my over al health seens to be better in th summer mouths.

Later...Jerry in Carolina...
"You are what you eat----and-----You are what you think"

"Be Good To Yourself"
CM1-S/M-Basilar Invagination
keggler

Postby Snoozie » Wed May 23, 2007 12:52 pm

I love those neck wraps, they really do help. I try to have one on and another in the ice ready to go.

So Roz and Jerry ya like the heat huh? Well I can't stand it and that was before I got hurt. What am I doing in the desert...who knows...Sue :D
Snoozie

Postby Sandy » Wed May 23, 2007 7:00 pm

HEy, Kim!

I just tried something that everybody might find helpful. It's JOhnson & Johnson's baby powder, very natural, it is lavender and chamomile.

But yes, the heat gets to me too, it can make me real sick before I know it if I'm not careful.

Sending love and wishes for a pain free day,
sandy :D
Sandy

Heat

Postby petsmom » Wed May 23, 2007 9:52 pm

I am so glad someone asked!! Last week was awesome here, lots of breeze and in the 70s, cool at night. Had all the windows open. Last few days are back up there and more spastic and more fatigue.

Because Heat affects most people with MS and I am so much worse with the heat I fought all my docs for years thinking I did have MS. Some agreed because of symptoms and especially the heat problem.

Good to know this may be a fairly common aspect of having SM. I use ice packs a lot here lately. I have DDD also and lots of inflammation neck and lumbar.

It gets really hot and humid here so I'll be hanging close to AC/fan

Dawn
I am not my disorder. It does not define me as a Person.
DDD, SM thoracic
petsmom

Postby CrazyCat » Fri May 25, 2007 4:49 am

Yeah heat and cold are not my friends. I got the bright idea to lay out and try to get a little sun...bad idea. I was only out 45 minutes on each side and I got sun poisoning on my stomach, legs and face...sigh. I never had that problem before ACM and I love the sun.
CrazyCat

Hate the heat!!

Postby ktjosmom » Fri May 25, 2007 1:16 pm

Our daughter who is 15 has TERRIBLE trouble with the heat. We even have to watch what class rooms she is placed in the high school she attends because it is not central airconditioned.

The heat seems to be her main trigger when it comes to her headaches.

I really appreciate the advise that I have picked up today.
ktjosmom

Heat has always been hard and getting tougher

Postby Bryan » Fri May 25, 2007 7:55 pm

I understand what you are saying I start complaining about the heat when it is in the mid 70's.My brain feels like it is cooking.I get dizzy and I have to get under the air conditioner and a fan for at least a half hour and the headaches get unbareable.
Every year it gets worse I try to walk early in the morning and keep in the shade.At least in the last couple of years since I found these Great Chiari Groups I have learned why heat is so difficult.Even as a child I couldn't take the heat even though I loved playing all sports when I was able I just couldn't last long at all.
THANK YOU
HAVE A COOL DAY
Bryan

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders