DivaCup, Moon Cup or Lunette? (Menstrual Cups)

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

DivaCup, Moon Cup or Lunette? (Menstrual Cups)

Postby dani » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:03 am

I know that menstrual cups and cloth pads are more of an alternative product, but I was just wondering whether anyone here has had experience with them?

I stumbled across some information on menstrual cups yesterday by accident (I was actually looking for free samples of a particular brand of sanitary napkins that I wanted to try). I must admit, at first I thought the idea was really gross. However, after reading quite a bit of information and reviews, I'm quite interested in trying one. I'm also interested in trying the cloth pads (for backup with the cup).

If anyone's interested, please visit the following websites for more information:
http://www.lunette.fi/english_index.html
http://www.divacup.com
http://www.mooncup.co.uk/
http://www.lunapads.com

If anyone has used either the cups or pads previously (or currently), I'd love to hear what you thought of them (please mention what brand you used too).
Danielle (Australia)
facebook.com/whimsicalowl

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Syringomyelia, Tethered Spinal Cord and Craniocervical Instability.

C1/C2 Fusion: 18th December 2009.
Spinal Cord Detethering: 19th November 2008.
dani

CUP

Postby razzle51 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 am

Boy thats a new one on me . Never heard of the cup . Must be something used overseas.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Amy Joe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:24 am

Seems to me it would be a healthy thing. Who really knows what materials are used in tampoons or pads. My plumbing is gone but I have 3 young ladys living in the house that I will forward this info to.

If I needed these products I would try them, in a heart best. Just for the enviroment alone, not to mention the whole health safety.

Great topic!

Amy Joe
MVA 11/05, Dx CM 7mm 1/06, PFD 10/07/2008
Occipital Neuralgia, POT's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Vitamin D Deficient, Lymes, Celiac
NS: Dr Carl B Heilman
Tufts Medical in Boston
http://www.amyjoeonetoughcookie.blogspot.com
Amy Joe

cup

Postby razzle51 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:57 am

I dont need them but interesting concept .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby angie7 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:46 am

I belong to a very earth friendly site and many women there use them. Most really like them while others find them hard to get into place. I have been looking at them to use myself but havent made the decision yet.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby cash71 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:21 pm

I can't believe I have never heard of that. It sounds like a really good idea and I'm all for something that is environmentally friendly. I guess I'll have to give it a go.

Thanks Dani for bringing it to my attention!

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby margiefrancie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:53 pm

I ADORE my Diva. There is a fairly steep learning curve involved, though. But after a month or so, you'll figure out what will work for you. Do some reading online about different folding methods, and always be sure to check the seal! As to your question regarding fine motor skills--I'm not sure it's any more difficult than inserting a tampon. Both can be awkward, but both can be mastered!

I alternate between my Diva and OB tampons when traveling or at work on heavy days. I always use a pantiliner as back-up. I NEED to make the switch to cloth, I just haven't done it yet.

Mentral cup love! <3
margiefrancie

Postby dani » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Wow, I didn't expect to receive so many replies, so soon. In fact, I wasn't expecting to receive many (if any) responses.

Roz & Caroline, I actually hadn't heard of them either until Saturday. Upon doing my research though, I discovered that menstrual cups have been around since the 1930s.

My primary interest in menstrual cups/cloth pads is their environmentally friendly nature. I made a modest estimate that I use approximately 420 tampons, 168 sanitary napkins and 252 panty liners a year (and I usually skip my periods where possible). That's a lot of waste I'm contributing to landfill. I'd never really thought about what impact that might be having until I started reading about it.

I think they're also a healthier alternative to tampons. Menstrual cups don't have the same associated with TSS that tampons do and as Amy Joe mentioned, who really knows what materials are used in tampons and pads. As I have to change my tampon every hour when my flow is heavy, I get very dry (and we all know how painful that makes inserting a tampon). I read that this problem doesn't occur with the menstrual cup as they're designed only to catch the blood, not to absorb your body’s natural fluids.

HC, I'm not sure if the cups would be easier to insert than tampons as you've got to fold them to insert them. I've heard that the diva can be a bit of a challenge to open up once you've inserted it as it's got quite strong suction - maybe the mooncup or the lunette would be easier. I'm not sure what your catheter involves, but would you be able to wear underwear that has ric rac bands that you can insert cloth pads into? There's a product called Lunapanties which may be of interest to you: http://www.lunapads.com/department.aspx?DeptId=3&

Thanks for your input margiefrancie, it's good to hear directly from someone who uses them. Sounds like you're onto a good thing! Do you find it easy enough to clean? I've heard the holes can be a bit problematic. In regards to the cloth pads, lunapads seem to have a good range: http://www.lunapads.com/

Although it's going to cost me around $30-$50 (Australian) to purchase a menstrual cup, I don't think it will take long before it repays itself. I usually spend $15-$20 a month on tampons/pads/liners. I'm definitely going to purchase a menstrual cup with my next pay; all I need to do now is decide which brand! Next on my list is some cloth pantyliners to use as a backup with the cups.

Thanks for all of your responses!

Dani
Danielle (Australia)

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Syringomyelia, Tethered Spinal Cord and Craniocervical Instability.

dani

Postby lovemyblessings » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:19 am

I use a diva cup. I have heavy cycles and seem to be allergic to nearly every pad out there. Tampons produce toxic shock like symptoms in me. I don't think I could make it through a cycle without it. Prior to buying it, and during my postpartum periods, my only option was cloth, which I did NOT enjoy.

The Diva does take a bit of getting used to. I also had to cut my wick completely off so I didn't feel pokey.

I have lots more good things to say, but some of them are TMI. ;)
~Dawn~
Blessed Mommy to six amazing blessings here with us
John 10, Marah 8½, Keegan 7½, Luke 5½, Quintin 4½, and Ruth 3
Caleb Logan expected in August and
And three blessings waiting in Glory, including Selah Marie born @ 17 weeks 4/15/2009
lovemyblessings

Postby dani » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 am

Thanks for your input Dawn, much appreciated. :)

I've heard the wick on the diva can be a bit pokey, from what I read the wick on the Lunette is a little more comfortable. Is it still easy enough to take out, despite the lack of wick? How often do you need to empty it? Do you find it easy enough to clean?

Sorry for bombarding you with Qs!

Dani
Danielle (Australia)

dani

Postby lovemyblessings » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:35 am

It comes out just fine. I empty it every time on my heavy days and about every other on the other days. Better safe than sorry! :lol:
~Dawn~
Blessed Mommy to six amazing blessings here with us
John 10, Marah 8½, Keegan 7½, Luke 5½, Quintin 4½, and Ruth 3
Caleb Logan expected in August and
And three blessings waiting in Glory, including Selah Marie born @ 17 weeks 4/15/2009
lovemyblessings

Postby SMLady » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:13 am

Wow. I've never heard of this before. I'm glad I don't need to worry about it because I got "scooped out", but I could see where there might be advantages to this.
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Postby Janice » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks everyone. This is extremely helpful information. I don't need these sort of products anymore but my daughter does. I passed the information on to her to review and determine if it's something she would be interested in purchasing.

She has extremely heavy cycles like I did and it sounds like the cup would work best for her.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Return to ASAP Lounge