Going to Mayo

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Going to Mayo

Postby hotsauceman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:45 am

I'm going to the Mayo (Rochester MN) Clinic the end of this month. Trying to save the use of my right hand, left is already shot, right is locking up on me. Any tips from someone who's been there? Other than dress warm.
hotsauceman

Re: Going to Mayo

Postby gunflint » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I've never been to the Mayo but I've met friends and relatives of SM patients who have. They seemed happy with the outcome. I have also heard of some not so pleasant experiences. However I can't give you first hand information either way. I'm curious about loosing your hands. When you say locked up what exactly do you mean? I've lost a lot
of coordination in my left hand and things are happening with my right that make me think I'll be losing coordination there too. I do have reasonable use of both but brain surgery is not something I would be able to perform. Do you have pain issues with your hands? Good luck in Rochester.
gunflint

Re: Going to Mayo

Postby hotsauceman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 pm

My left hand is attrifeed (spelling) looks like a 90 yr old woman's hand. It started a year and a half ago after my second syrinx surgery. I tried to keep working out by strapping my left hand to my total gym. left hand got to weak to even do that. OP say as of last fall, right hand 99 psi, Left hand 15 psi. Right hand starting to spasm if I clinch or grab something tight, this is how the left hand started. I will have to pry it open on a flat surface. Forgive my typing, I'm on my laptop typing with one hand.

I am still working as long as I can trying to hide my symptoms. Going to Mayo Clinic trying to save my right hand to keep working. disability doesn't pay enough for me to consider. If you are exsperiencing dexterity problems I would start noting the size of both forearms. My left is about an inch smaller than my right.

Right now I struggle to tie my shoes or button my pants & shirts. sometimes I have to ask my wife for help. If my right a
hand turns out like my left I won't be able to dress myself. I do all the cooking and will have to go to microwave dinners.

Tired didn't preview much, sorry.
hotsauceman

Return to ASAP Lounge