Exercising for Pain Relief

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Exercising for Pain Relief

Postby stacy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:18 pm

I think my elliptical has been my saving grace the past few years. :D A few days ago it broke on me (literally while I was riding it - ouchy for the spine!) and my pain has been flaring up. I tried doing other cardio, but the elliptical was so gentle on my spine. Even walking hurts, probably because of disc problems in addition to the SM. I haven't had a good night's sleep in 15 years since the accident, but at least I could go on the elliptical during the day and find temporary relief. I really miss the elliptical!

Anyone else find that exercising daily helps with the pain?
stacy

Re: Exercising for Pain Relief

Postby hikealaska » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I do a lot of walking and ride a recumbent stationary bike. I am afraid to ride a real bike because I didn't learn to ride a bike until my 20's, I am not confident on one and if I fell it would be disastrous. :roll: I was an exercise fanatic before my symptoms started years ago. I hiked all over and did The Firm aerobic weight training videos. So, I have to be really careful. My natural inclination is to work out HARD and that just hurts me for days. I have to be very mindful about what my body is telling me.
For the first several years of my symptoms, surgeries, etc, I gained a lot of weight which is not helpful at all to people with SM and CM. For the last two years, through more surgeries and symptoms I have been very focused on losing that weight. As of this morning I have lost 72.8 pounds through the weight watchers program. This has been very difficult to do without the benefits of vigorous exercise. Historically, I didn't worry too much about weight because my activity level was high so I stayed naturally thin. When I lost that ability and combined that with eating for comfort I had quite a mess on my hands. I have moved from a size 8 to a size 22 and now from a 22 to a 6. I really miss the feeling you get after a hard workout. Now I have to learn to "love" the results of the less exciting and interesting things I can do. All the while being incredibly aware of what my body is telling me and to stop when it gives me ANY warning signs that I am pushing too hard.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Return to ASAP Lounge