Does heat made the headaches worse

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Does heat made the headaches worse

Postby Audiee » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Does anyone know if heat effects headaches? I have begun to notice that if i get over heated my headaches are really bad. Is the heat from the Chiari its self or is it something else. The only way to get it to even slow down is by drinking lots of cold, cold anything, almost giving myself a brain freeze. I also have DJD, so I have to keep my body temp at a good balance. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I also would like to take exercising to build up some strength, I have lost a lot, but not sure what I can do that wont make things worse. Any ideas?

Thanks
Audiee
Audiee

Re: Does heat made the headaches worse

Postby pmaxwell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:11 pm

the doctors and people I have talked with recommend water aerobics. They also say walking is good. I think a lot of it depends on the individual. You have to start slow and listen to your body. Certain types of yoga, low impact aerobics, are a possibility. Maybe you could ask you doctor to prescribe PT. However they are not always familiar with these disorders so be prepared. Again I think it is important to start slow and gradually build but be sure to talk with your doctor before starting any new activities.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby Audiee » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you for the reply. I like the water idea.
Audiee

Postby karenb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Audiee,

I used to take water aerobics, and loved them. I'm now doing a rehab/maintenance program in a therapeutic pool, and love it!

One note of caution - a lot of therapeutic water programs are in warm water (90-93 degrees), so you need to be sure whether warmth aggravates your headaches. Also, you can tend to get dehydrated, especially at first.

One other thing to be aware of is that water can sometimes do funny things with spinal fluid flows. I would suggest practicing basic water safety procedures when you start aqua-aerobics - particularly don't swim alone.

Good luck!

Karen
karenb

Postby phyrehawke » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Yes heat definitely made my headaches worse. My chiari is so borderline a lot of the radiologists don't even mention it, and a CINE study showed it didn't block CSF flow at all, so I think that's not really the issue. When they put me on topamax this past summer it brought the heat related headaches to a complete stop. Oh I was so grateful! That was just one of many things that medication changed for me...I have a love/hate relationship with it, lol. Prior to that my best luck with the heat related headaches was just not to get overheated...dress cool, stay in cool environment, keep damp/wet towels or cool flaxpacks out of the freezer over my neck/shoulders on the hottest days.
Rozanne/phyre
"A path of awakening would never suggest that we should be a passive and unwitting spectator of our own repeated disasters, but should turn the power of our attention to untangle the web of complexity." Christina Feldman
phyrehawke

Postby kiminfla » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:06 am

Heat defnintely causes my symptoms to flare. I live in Florida so that's not a fabulous combination for me. This past month has been unusually hot for this time of year and I've had several rough days. Cooler pool water does help as does ice on my neck. Hope this improves for you! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby Audiee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Thank you all so much for responding. I am glad to know I am not alone in this.

Best Wishes to you all
Audiee
Audiee

Return to ASAP Lounge