Easily laid low

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Easily laid low

Postby Judi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:49 pm

I had an abscesses tooth. Apparently, the amount of infection should have caused a higher level of pain, but it didn't. At the time of the procedure, I told the dentist what was wrong with me, and to his benefit, he listened. However, I had felt pretty ill from the infection, and the subsequent vomiting didn't help at all....I feel pretty darn depressed. I have the syrinx pain, large, symptomic hemangiomas, 4 bulging disks, two of which are in my neck, 37degree scoliosis, a screwed up knee with bone chip and cyst (I don't feel it anymore, either)... And I am just wondering what else is going to go wrong. I teach teenagers and can't be slowed down by this mess. There are days when I have no energy, need a cane to walk and although my husband says he understands...I don't think he does...
Judi

Re: Easily laid low

Postby karenb » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi Judi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your abscessed tooth - those things can be so nasty, and they don't always seem to cause the amount of pain the dentist expects them to, or the pain shows up elsewhere (like a toothache, or an ear-ache, or food sensitivity).

The good thing is that your dentist listened to you, and you're on your way to recovery. Infections and vomiting are pretty unpleasant (like no duh!), and it is quite normal to feel depressed as a result.

It sounds like you're going through a lot right now - I wish I knew what words of comfort I could offer - I could try saying "I understand", but there's no way for one person to understand exactly what somebody else is going through, even if we do have the same condition and other stuff messed up with our bodies.

I'd suggest that you give your husband the benefit of the doubt - it sounds like he's trying to comfort you as best he can, but doesn't know what to say.

Hang in there, and I hope you start feeling better soon!

Karen
karenb

Postby Judi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks Karen,
I try not to give in to such negative feelings. I think I am getting nervous because I have to return to the dr. who told me a small syrinx causes no pain. I wish someone had told my spine that news....lol! This time I have promised myself that if the meeting with this dr does not go well, I will just accept that it is time to educate, and not overreact to the fact that not everyone knows what to do.
Your kindness is much appreciated,
Judi
Judi

Postby karenb » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi Judi,

I'm so glad that you've regained your sense of humor.

I have offered several of my physicians copies of the ASAP patient guide on my first visit, and always try to keep my medical records in good order. (I bring them in a neatly organized binder... at least that way they don't think I'm a complete nincompoop right off the bat!)

Best wishes with this next appointment!

Karen
karenb

Return to ASAP Lounge