What if my syrinx does get bigger? What can be done?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

What if my syrinx does get bigger? What can be done?

Postby pfb1977 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:08 am

I'm just wondering the point of a yearly MRI. Nothing was done the syrinx anyway... A disc was removed to take pressure off but nothing else. I would like to check into getting a spial cord stimulator but not sure if this is a possibility since its surgical. My pain hasn't ever been well controlled and I'm tired of going to the Dr over and over again for nothing. Any input would be awesome.
pfb1977

Re: What if my syrinx does get bigger? What can be done?

Postby razzle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 pm

if your syrinx blocks spinal flow then they can shunt it , so really nothing else can be done just medication management . took me 7yrs to find the right med ... R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby pfb1977 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for the info. What med has helped you. I feel like I have tried everything.
pfb1977

Postby razzle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

flor me it s Keppra , Tramadol and Flexerill
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:25 am

For me, it's Klonopin (for spasms), Baclofen (muscle relaxant), and Gabapentin (for neuropathic pain). I also take Vicoprofen (systemic - for pain) & Cymbalta (systemic - for pain & for depression).

I use a variety of topical remedies - Lidoderm patches (topical patches containing Lidocaine) help with some pain, Flector patches (I'm not sure what all is in them, but they're more of an analgesic), Voltaren Gel (for arthritis and other pain), and a compound cream that includes Ketamine & Ketaprofen - each has its role.

Karen

P.S. Since I'm from New Mexico, I also advocate the use of chile in each meal - Capsaicin is supposed to have tremendous medicinal use - not use about that, but it sure tastes good!
karenb

Return to ASAP Lounge