Does MRI without contrast show chiari?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Does MRI without contrast show chiari?

Postby marja » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi,
I can't remember if you need an MRI with contrast to see chiari? Or does the herniation measurement show just as well without contrast?
marja

Re: Does MRI without contrast show chiari?

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

pretty sure they can see Chiari without contrast. I think the contrast helps when they are looking for blockage of the flow of spinal fluid.
Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby jessica » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:36 pm

My MRIs were both with and without contrast and my NS said the w/o MRI actually showed the Chiari more clearly.
17mm CM; PFD, C1 Laminectomy, and Duraplasty on 23 Aug 10.
jessica

Postby smoovie0704 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 am

I just saw this post but am going to respond to bump in case others have the same question. The answer is yes, I have never had a contrast MRI and each one since 2008 has shown the Chiari so clear that I can even measure it on the CD and I am not a doctor.

Recently had a spinal MRI and that too, was without contrast and measured the CM.

Stephanie
Complex Migraine w/o Aura
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby karenb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi All,

I have SM (no Chiari), but my initial diagnosis was made using an MRI without contrast.

I have had two subsequent MRIs - one with contrast, and one set both with and without contrast. The neurologist & neuro-radiologist told me that the contrast is helpful when they are trying to determine measurements and changes, since it makes what is being measured/compared more distinct.

Karen
karenb

Return to ASAP Lounge