Exercises I can do?

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Exercises I can do?

Postby tjk5082 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:32 pm

I have a small syrinx, was found during a cervical MRI. I have some leg numbness, as well as my pinky ting and middle finger. The left side of my neck is tight all the time and sometimes it hurts. But when I go to the gym and lift light weights I feel better after, no numbing, i feel looser and less pain. Any exercises I could do and not increase the severity of my syrinx.

Also lately I feel the the side I have tingling on, left hand an leg, I feel that my cheek is starting to tingle on the left. Is this a typical symptom?
tjk5082

Re: Exercises I can do?

Postby jcarden » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:34 am

I have three small syrinxes and my neuro surgeon advised me to swim at least every other day. It keeps the friction down on your body and it helps naturally realign your back. Also when I was first injured I was having some of the same problems you are and I had to convert a lot of my weight lifting to isometrics. I do understand that everyone's body and injury is different so I hope this helps you.
Jonathan Carden diagnosed with trauma induced syringomyelia, March 2008 while serving in US Army.
jcarden

Postby gunflint » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 am

There are a lot of people on here that know more than I do but When I hear weight lifting and syrinx I see a big red flag waving. Did you talk to a NS about lifting weights?
gunflint

Postby powerlineman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:22 pm

It really differs. Say for me I can't lift anything heavy. Hurts way too bad. Same with swimming (even though I love it), I can't swim anymore or that night I'll be in enough pain I'd wish I wasn't here so I refuse to do it anymore. I wont even get in a pool as I'm scared I'd over-do it.

I can do minimal walking, etc. and very light workouts. It really depends on how your body reacts as most to all of us all react differently to the problems at hand.
SM only (C2-T1, T10-T12)-Cervical Post Operative Radiculopathy-Degenerative Disc Disease-Anxiety-Depression-Chronic Fatigue-Osteoarthritis-Bulging Discs (T5-T7)-Sarcoidosis-Spina Bifida
powerlineman

Postby tjk5082 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:03 am

Thank you for your response, I've been trying to track my symptoms, I have my second MRI in December where theye will actually diagnose it. For now I'm lifting MWF and running 3-5 miles Sun tues thurs, the problems arises minimally from exercising but the majority of my symptoms arise when sitting uncomfortably on a couch and when I wake up in the morning.

When I'm on the couch my back gets pain right around my spine on either side like its really tight there, and when I sleep I will wake up with my ring and pinky finger numb, sometimes on both hands. I actually found that it I'm sitting and my back pain arises if I go run it'll go away. I'm crossing my fingers my MRI comes out negative in December.y problems just started to arise a year ago. Sorry for the spelling errors, I'm typing on a phone.
tjk5082

Return to ASAP Lounge