Typical Pains caused by Syrinx

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Typical Pains caused by Syrinx

Postby Sarah28 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Brief background info: I have a syrinx in my thoracic spine and I also have Multiple Sclerosis.

For the past two weeks I have had pain in my neck, so far up that it's right at my hairline. That area feels bruised but isn't, and my entire neck feels extremely tight and I am uncomfortable constantly. Along with this, my lower back is hurting as well. When I bend over or squat down, it feels like my lower spine is being ripped away from whatever it's attached to. I'm not sure if it's attached to anything but that's just the feeling I have, a tearing, pulling, ripping feeling.

I initially thought this pain was caused by sleeping on it wrong but enough time has passed for that to work itself out and I'm still in pain. Plus I make sure I have plenty of neck support. Then I thought it was caused by working out. Again, enough time has passed and I've been taking it easy and still pain.

I'm wondering, is this kind of pain typical for those with Syringomyelia? We have recently relocated due to my husbands deployment so I am seeing a new PCM today. I just want to have an understanding of my pain and possibly it's cause before going in.

Thanks!
Sarah28

Re: Typical Pains caused by Syrinx

Postby razzle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm

I have a thoracic syrinx and dont have that as a symptom. You might need to have them check for a tarvol cyst or possble tethered cord cause they deal with lower spine . I hope yoru dr knows about Syringomyelia . good luck
http://sehati.org/index/patientresource ... cysts.html

the ripping my be like burning . why I say that is a friend was diax with tarvol cyst and she had ripping and burning in her tailbone area.
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Sarah,

I have thoracic SM, and have experienced neck/head pain somewhat like you're describing.

I should probably preface this by saying I do have arthritis and a loss of curvature in the cervical spine, which means I pretty much hurt every day, but I'm used to that (and then some...).

When I was first starting PT about 2-1/2 years ago, I would experience this type of pain periodically. It felt like a burning in my neck, that would center at the base of my skull and then radiate over my entire head in an awful headache.

My Physical Therapist theorized that, at least in my case, it was due to certain "normal" stretches placing too much stress on my spinal cord. For example, a "normal" (for someone else) hamstring stretch didn't actually stretch the muscles, which had become spastic - instead, it put pressure on the spinal cord, resulting in the headache. By modifying the stretch, he was able to ultimately eliminate this reaction (it usually took several modifications).

Thoughts?

Karen
karenb

Postby gunflint » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:50 pm

I also have a cervical syrinx. Yes on the neck pain and I'm hoping against hope that my lower back pain is SM related. But I kind of doubt it.
gunflint

Postby syrinx48 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Sarah,

The way you describe your pain, I can fully relate to. I have a Cervical/thoracic syrinx from C4/T11. But I have some other problems too in my spine. At level T6/T7 I have a herniated disk with compression against the myelum, but as it is a risky operation the NS wants to wait to operate, for he is not sure if I am able to walk again after the op. I also have a synovial cyst or sometimes also called a Facet cyst at L4/L5 which gives me a lot of trouble. This one is an easier op, but then again my NS don't want to operate yet, for every manipulation on the spine is bad for the syrinx.

So as Roz already told you, it could be the Syringomyelia, but there are more things which can be wrong, not necessarely your SM.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Return to ASAP Lounge