unemployment question

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

unemployment question

Postby debh » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:12 am

can someone receive unemployment even if they quit-job just too stressful
debh

Re: unemployment question

Postby Janice » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:49 am

Hi Deb,

Eligibility would depend on the circumstances. You would most likely need to appeal, then let the judge decide.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby smoovie0704 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Janice.

I just went through this in NYC and I will tell you that my boss confessed in the hearing that she cursed at me twice and that there is a man in the warehouse that screams in fits and comes after everyone, including women, when he feels like it. Her story also flip flopped before the judge and she was totally unprepared for the meeting. Anyway, as it turns out, the judge took her side and said that being cursed at by your superior and being in the middle of high speed person chases regularly wasn't enough cause to voluntarily abandon your job. Especially one that is right around the corner from your home, 2 minute walk.

I thought for sure I had a good case, evidence, emails, confessions!!!! I appealed again and was denied again. Turns out that the employers pay the first 10 weeks of your benefits but then the state takes over, at least here in NY. So it is in the states' best interest to fight you until you give up.

Yet I know people sitting on their behinds almost two years collecting and not even caring about looking for work.

In the meantime, it took 5 months, but something wonderful landed on my lap which is close to home and I make my own hours. The owners are friendly people and appreciate my talent. Its not the salary I was getting before, but I am less stressed and my symptoms are quiet since I have left my other job. I was very afraid to just quit with no savings and no backup plan but hubby said we will deal with it and we made it through!

Good luck.
Complex Migraine w/o Aura
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby Janice » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 am

That's very unfortunate for you Smoovie, and I'm sorry you didn't win. There's always the chance that the judge could rule against you, but at least you took the chance. I'm so glad you found another, better, job in a workable atmosphere. I once worked close to home and it's great, actually both DH and I worked close to home and each other! Having lunches together was terrific and it was a nice walk everyday.

It does come down to the judge. I know people who quit and won in court. Then I know some who didn't win. It does depend on the circumstances, and yes, the judge.

Thanks for your input Smoovie, I'm sure it's helpful.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Piscopa » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Deb,
Definitely the Judges matters a lot if you left on your own instead of being fired. You could have all the evidence you need and still not get but with some, they have next to nothing and yet win. I don't know how the law is with where you live but in NY, you end up fighting with the State and not the employer. The employers know in a couple of months, they will be done with their part and the State will take over. It's unfortunate.
"With Hard Work and Strong Determination, Nothing can Dismantle the Flag of Success"
Piscopa

Postby powerlineman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:33 pm

If you think you need to quit, I'd start being lazy and make them fire me. Then you have no problem. Reason=lack of production. But I've never been on unemployment in my life, so take this with a grain of salt.
SM only (C2-T1, T10-T12)-Cervical Post Operative Radiculopathy-Degenerative Disc Disease-Anxiety-Depression-Chronic Fatigue-Osteoarthritis-Bulging Discs (T5-T7)-Sarcoidosis-Spina Bifida
powerlineman

Return to ASAP Lounge