Surgery Date Set

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Surgery Date Set

Postby pseudotumor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:21 pm

After seeing Dr. Oro today, I have surgery scheduled for Aug 4th. (PFD). So for people who have had this - I have some completely retarded questions that I felt too embarrassed or forgot to ask him:
1. How long do I have to wait to dye my roots post op?
2. Will I be able to stick a magnet to my head?
3. Will I set off airport metal detectors?
4. Will they see the plate in their body scan thing and think i'm a super-creative terrorist?
5. What sort of things are going to be painful post op?
6. Should I bring magazines/my netbook to the hospital or am I going to just going to be in a drugged up stupor most of the time?
7. Will I be cath'd at any time?
8. What's a 'zipperhead'?
9. Has anyone had Dr. Oro before and did you feel confident in his post-op accessability (like does he give you his pager # or anything)?
Probably more questions to come. This is my first surgery and a pretty major one at that so I'm a tad freaked out.
Anything else you can think of that you would have never thought of before surgery - please let me know.
-Julie
pseudotumor

Re: Surgery Date Set

Postby Kate456 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Julie!

Okay, I'll take a stab at a few of these and let others fill in the rest!

1. My NS said to wait at least 8 weeks post surgery before thinking about hair dye, assuming that the incision was healing normally and there was no infection. Basically, you need to wait until the incision is not only completely closed up but also until the layers of skin underneath have closed up completely so the dye isn't absorbed in, etc... I waited 12 weeks to be extra cautious and even then did not put any dye near the incision itself. I rinsed with my head forward, covering my face with a towel and plastic wrap and with wax ear plugs to keep dye from getting anywhere else. The main reason I did this is because it will hurt you to tip your head back after surgery and is also not medically advisable after surgery until your neck is stronger. It worked well for me and I felt like a normal person once again!!!! :)

2-4. Can't comment because my NS did not use a metal plate. Did have duraplasty though.

5. There are lots of posts about this so you may want to do a search. For me, sleeping in a bed was very hard for the first few days at home. It was much more comfortable to sleep in a recliner with my body and head more upright. Showering was fine and felt great once I was allowed to do it, I think it was as soon as the stitches came out at one week post op. I resumed light walking outside within a week of surgery, although I was embarrassingly slow!! I had to have someone walk with me to make sure I was okay. I was only allowed up and down the stairs 1 time per day for the first week home and then just a bit more as each week went by. Your NS will give you weight restrictions. For me it was nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for a month and no driving until he cleared me. Do a search for more....

6. For me, my saving grace at the hospital was my iPod because it helped lull me to sleep when I felt rotten or in the middle of the night after they came for blood and I couldn't go back to sleep and didn't want to wake my husband sleeping in the chair! I love to read but it hurt my neck to look at books or magazines. I had loaded audiobooks on my iPod and that was great. Just not anything heavy because the pain meds kill your attention span and memory while on them!!

7. I was cathed for the first 48 hours. I asked to get it out ASAP and they did. No trouble from that at all.

8. Zipperhead is what some people call themselves after surgery because the incision makes a zipper like Frankenstein scar down the back of the head. Personally, I prefer not to dwell on it and now that my hair covers it the scar is a non issue. It was amazing how fast it faded out.

I don't know anything about Dr. Oro so I can't help you there!

August is a good time of year for surgery. Winter is the hardest if you live in a cold climate as pain/healing from major surgery is harder on the body in cold weather. (this is medical fact, not my opinion!!)

I wish the best of luck to you! I am glad I had surgery and have had a good outcome. It was a bit rough getting through it but a friend had cancer at the same time and his surgery and post op treatments were much worse than what I went through. Please keep us posted and feel free to PM me if you need to!

Kate
Kate456

Re: Surgery Date Set

Postby pseudotumor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Kate,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. :)
pseudotumor

Return to ASAP Lounge