Doing okay after years

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

Doing okay after years

Postby kenlast » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:12 am

I just found out about this site the other day. I had surgery 12 years ago and until reading all about this from this and a couple other sites never really understood a lot about my situation. I had what they called then shutting of the Syrinx. I never had any problems until about the age of 30, I played sports and did anything I wanted then all of a sudden I started getting bad back pain and numbness in my right leg, my ability to play sports was deteriorating. I went to quit a few medical doctors over a period of time with no one determining the problem. Then an orthopedic doctor in Pittsburgh, Pa named Doctor Levy determined I had a neurological problem he sent me to a neurologist Dr. Richard Weisman (my current neurologist) he found a cyst in my spinal column using an MRI. I then was sent to Dr Peter Sheptak a pretty famous guy he was the Pittsburgh Penguins team surgeon. He placed a shunt in my spinal column after weeks of rehab and years of working on my own I am doing well. I take 40 milligrams of Baclofen a day to keep spasticity under control in my right leg. I don't know if this is normal or not but this seems to be a lot better now then even a couple years ago.I do have a little nerve damage in my right leg and my balance is off, but I work a full time job and pretty much do anything I want. Thanks to a couple great doctors. I hope others with this problem do as well or better after surgery as I have.

P.S. If anyone has any recommendations to help the balance problem I would appreciate any advice.
kenlast

Re: Doing okay after years

Postby Janice » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi Kenlast and Welcome! :)

Thank you very much for sharing your story. It's great to know that you continue to do well after such a long time. Were you ever told the size (length and width) of your syrinx and where in the spinal column it's located? Have you had regular MRI's since then? Did the syrinx shrink after shunting?

Sorry for all the questions. I haven't heard from anyone with shunting and no problems. Especially one being performed so long ago.

I pray you continue to do well.

Take care, (((((hugs)))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby kenlast » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:26 pm

I am not sure of the size but it is at was at the base of my neck. Yes I have had MRI's since in fact one about 6 months ago and thank God every thing is good. Yes the Cyst shrunk the way I understand this is they can not stop fluid from draining in so they place a shunt in there which drains the fluid back out. I will tell you the doctors are surprised how well I have done and it seems that I am the ab norm. I still give the success to having one of the best surgeons in the world in Peter Sheptak. If you know who Mario Lemuiex is, the famous hockey player some of his back surgery's were performed by DR Sheptak , along with other athletes. I could never thank him enough.
kenlast

Postby trigal1 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 am

Hey Kenlast....Great to hear your success story. As a competitve athlete I am always looking for other athletes who have had either cm or sm. I compete on a national level as a Masters runner and a former professional duathlete. This condition has stopped me in my tracks in terms of competing and most of my symptoms of course get worse with intense exercise. I am most likely going to opt for surgery - I want some chance of having some aspect of my athletic life back.....I may never get back what I had but if I can train again with relative ease that would be great. Once an athlete - always an athlete and I have my running shoes hanging outside of my closet as a reminder that I am not done yet. Thanks again for sharing your story... TG1
trigal1

Return to Share Your Success Story!