Life and Syrinx are stabalizing

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

Life and Syrinx are stabalizing

Postby airsense00 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 am

Hello,

I just got back from my check-up MRI and it looks like my syrinx is shrinking. I have been just over 2 months post-op from my chiari decompression surgery. The part on my spinal cord where the syrinx was largest is much smaller now. I hope it continues to shrink. I still have some feeling loss to hot and cold on parts of my right arm and hand. The throbbing and aching pain I had before surgery barely pokes its head now and then, but I think that is getting better also and almost nonexistent. I believe my cerebral spinal fluid is re-adjusting and my body is compensating.

Back in Feb 10 my first symptom that led me to a diagnosis of CM and SM was pain that shot down my arm after coughing and sneezing. My doc referred me to get an xray and it showed nothing. Months later the pain turned in to a numbnesslike feeling with loss of sensation to hot and cold on my outer arm, shoulder, and fingers. My doc sent me for a mri and that showed I had CM1 and a syrinx from C5 to T8 with two parts widened. The one wide spot is exactly in the region where my symptoms were occuring. I had no symptoms from the chiari itself except for the syrinx that developed. This diagnosis was very scary to me at first and led me to this site and to my NS. I opted for surgery in Feb 11 and it was a great success. I want to thank people of this site for helping learn more and talking with me before surgery. I also want to thank the very skilled NS Dr. Malik of Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan. I hope to help anyone that is new to chiari and syringomyelia. Please email me airsense00@gmail.com if you have any questions.
29 year old chiari 1 with syrinx c4-t8. Surgery Feb 2
airsense00

Re: Life and Syrinx are stabalizing

Postby airsense00 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Hello all,

It has been over a year since I had surgery for my CM and SM. I had an MRI about 6 months ago and the syrinx is smaller and I will get another again soon. My symptoms have not gotten any worse. I still have loss of temperature and hightened touch on parts of my right arm. I am still working as a pilot and do everything pretty much normal. I have increased my excercise and can now run a 5k. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my arm sensation, but other than that annoying thing I really don't think about my SM or CM anymore. I like to visit this site from time to time and help out anyone who is newly diagnosed. I know it can be a scary thing to go through.
airsense00

Postby Janice » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 am

It's always good to hear success stories. Thanks for sharing yours & coming back to visit to let us know you're still doing well.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby karenb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am

Thank you for sharing your success story - it's always so good to hear positive news from folks!

Karen
karenb

Postby pmaxwell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Thank you for staying active on the message board. Sometimes people who have successful surgery or manage their symptoms forget their are others who can really benefit from their story. Whether they are newly diagnosed or still trying to find help after years of fighting the effects of the disorder, it makes a difference to know other are doing well, When I first started working for ASAP I think the number one fear people had was about their future. I pray one day everyone will find the success you have found. An who know with the research they are doing in nerve regenration it could be even more successful.

best wishes,

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby airsense00 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am

ImageImage
airsense00

Postby Janice » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Great images! The surgery was successful. Hopefully your symptoms reversed, creating an overall, complete success.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Return to Share Your Success Story!