Post SM Surgery Good News!

A place to celebrate everything wonderful!

Moderator: pmaxwell

Post SM Surgery Good News!

Postby madb » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:02 am

Hello Everyone,

Went to see my NS ON 10/7/09 with results of updated full spinal MRI. Basically a check up. It's been 2years since I've had an MRI and 4years 8 months Post OP.
MY Thoracic shunt is holding it's own since the surgery with no complications.
As the radiology reports states: Post gadolinium ( or MRI with contrast) images demonstrate no evidence of abnormal enhancement within the vertebrae or spinal canal
My NS said my syrinx represents a very thin line.

I have disc desiccation at L3-4 and L4-5. That is drying of the disc. L1-2 L2-3 L3-4 L4-5 there is dick bulging with no significant canal stenosis. I've had a very physical and active life style and some of this is associated with just getting older. I am pushing 55.
I have trouble with my right leg and foot and associated fatigue when walking and the NS says this is caused by the SM.

With his suggestion I am going to start Physical Therapy for my lower back and he does think this will help me walk better. We both agree I may not be walking today without that surgery.

Since there is no cure and we must help ourselves I am pleased with these results and happy to share this with those fighting this disorder as I have been.
I only hope there are others out there that are or will be as fortunate I have been.

God Bless,
Michael
madb

Re: Post SM Surgery Good News!

Postby LANERS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:24 am

I am glad you are doing better. I was wondering how wide your syrinx was prior to your surgery?
SM C5-T11/ Disc Buldge C6-C7 / Mild Scoliosis
DX July 2009
LANERS

Return to Share Your Success Story!